Thursday, October 8, 2015

Serpents, Amish Fried Pie and Kentucky

Today we headed south and on the way we went to see some burial mounds.


Keith Brook adding perspective to my scene
An area as long as five football fields and I don't know how wide, is surrounded by a berm of earth, carefully and exactly laid out. Inside the berm there are many burial mounds containing remains and artifacts from as early as 600 B.C. The mounds are geometrically intricate, some indicating summer and winter solstice, even 18 year lunar events. Mind blown.


It was beautiful and warm today - about 80 degrees


One of my chief joys is tracking down great places to eat. Today Keith was referred to this bakery and sandwich place staffed by Amish bakers. Why oh why don't the Amish and Mennonites migrate west?


I wanted to stuff this huge lump of butter in my suitcase. Instead I settled for several pounds of pastries stuffed in my mouth.

We visited three sites with burial mounds today but my hands down favorite was the Serpent Mound. It is unique in all the world, the largest effigy site in the world. There is a tower you can climb to see the mound that undulates from a wide stretched serpents mouth biting an egg down to a spiral tail. It is absolutely fantastic - mysterious and wonderful.





I loved the note in the restroom. Who would dare to disobey an edict directly from "Serpent Mound". Ignoring this stern warning and flushing a feminine product would surely mean a poltergeist experience would follow you to the end of your days.  WARNING DULY NOTED!

After the mound we drove to Kentucky, through Lexington and mile after mile of beautiful fences and horses, horses horses.

This world is a beautiful place. I can't wait to explore Elizabethtown tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read for the last few days, it was fun to catch up. This is almost as good as being there with you all....well, that's a whooper, but well meant. These sights do bring back memories and feelings of our trip, but I'm sure it would be even more fun to be able to plan your own itinerary and spend as much time as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I ever heard about this was I think back in the little red school house days. And it has fascinated me since. I do want to see it somebody. I have kids in Cincinnati but nobody ever wants to go there if I visit. BooHiss!!!

    ReplyDelete